Purple Lotus Yoga
online teacher certification
You can become a confident, qualified + certified yoga teacher online.
- You’ve been hearing the whisper to teach and learn more about yoga but when you see pictures, you look nothing like the insta-teachers.
- You’ve researched yoga teacher training programs for so long, but haven’t been able to commit because of scheduling conflicts or work and family obligations.
- Or you finally got serious about committing to yoga teacher training, but then… COVID-19 … and everything went sideways.
Now Imagine. . .
- When social distancing is eliminated, you’re already certified to teach and can lead yoga classes with confidence.
- You gained skills to not only help others, but to help yourself through challenging times.
- You found a group of supportive individuals who share your passion for all things yoga.
You CAN become a certified yoga teacher during COVID-19 social distancing with. . .
online yoga teacher certification
Purple Lotus Yoga is a Registered Yoga School (RYS) with Yoga Alliance. Due to COVID-19, in-person trainings have shifted to online and graduates of Purple Lotus Yoga, during this time, are welcome to register with Yoga Alliance as an RYT.
Through December 31, 2020, you can complete your 200-hour or 300-hour requirements online and earn your yoga instructor certification.
how does it all work?
- Our comprehensive training provides a strong foundation for teaching yoga (and deepening your own practice) through detailed videos, readings, workbooks, handouts, and lectures.
- Lectures are conducted via live Zoom sessions and follow as close to in-person training as possible for maximum engagement, interaction, and accountability.
- You are encouraged to attend as many live Zoom sessions as you can. When you can’t, you’ll need to watch either the recorded Zoom session or the recorded video lectures on the online learning platform Teachable.
- You’ll receive on-going support and mentorship throughout the training just as if you were attending in-person.
- Online participants receive lifetime access to the Purple Lotus Yoga 200-hour teacher training course hosted on Teachable.
- 200-hour level live sessions are are held on weekday mornings. The 300-hour level sessions are on the weekends. Please see schedule below for specific dates.
- If you’ve never used ZOOM before you will need to download it to your computer (only takes a few minutes).
- You will need to complete the REGISTRATION FORM in order to be considered enrolled and to receive emails with training information and class materials.
- Please see online completion requirements and deadlines below.
“The flexibility was the best – the online classes really helped me make teacher training a reality when, otherwise, it would never fit into my schedule with family and work, and it took away any possible anxiety about Covid-19 and social distancing issues.”
topics covered in 200-hour ytt
- History and philosophy: Classical forms, ancient texts, past and present influencers, styles of yoga, eight limbs, yamas and niyamas.
- Humanities: Ethics as a teacher, diversity, inclusion, and equality.
- How to Teach: Qualities of a yoga teacher, how to sequence a yoga class, class themes, creating an experience during class, and building your confidence.
- Breathing: How to, proper instruction for four main breathing techniques, anatomy of breathing, and pranayama.
- Meditation: How to, expectations, different practices, chanting, mudras, bandhas, how meditation affects nervous system.
- Anatomy: Ten major systems of the body, with special attention to muscles and bones, and how yoga impacts each one.
- Chakras: Introduction into energetic anatomy through the seven major energy centers along your spine.
- Basic Business: Registering with Yoga Alliance, insurance, pay expectations for private, corporate, studio, gym, and workshops.
- Homework: Complete corresponding assignments for each of the above topics.
- Postures: Research and break down seated, standing, balancing, prone, and reclined postures including benefits, contraindications, and modifications.
- Basic Sanskrit: Eight limbs, postures, chakras
- Practice teaching: Participants teach each other in small and large group exercises.
- Required Books: Heart of Yoga by TKV Desikachar, Anatomy of a Spirit by Caroline Myss, Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz, and Key Muscles of Yoga by Ray Long.
200-hour completion requirements + deadlines
- Tracking Form: Complete and turn in a tracking form that shows completion of all of the above.
- Teaching Demonstration: Participants will need to complete a teaching demonstration. This will can either be done during the designated Zoom session or a recorded video of you teaching.
- Written Test: Participants need to complete and pass (with 70% or better) a written test.
- Upon Completion: When you complete and turn in the tracking form, teaching demonstration, and written test, you will earn a certificate of completion emailed to you as a PDF. If completed before December 31, you may register with Yoga Alliance if you choose.
- Philosophy + Pranayama: Dive deeper into the Yoga Sutras, Bhagavad Gita, and Hatha Yoga Pradipika. Add to your teacher’s tool box with five pranayama techniques.
- Prenatal + Children’s Yoga: Expand your teaching experience with prenatal yoga and yoga for kids.
- Ayurveda: Identify your dosha and apply findings to food, breathing exercises, yoga poses, and seasons of the year.
- Anatomy: Discover your body’s inter-connectedness through Western anatomy, physiology, and biomechanics.
- Yin Yoga: Yin basics, how it differs from other styles, yin poses, props, and teaching pranayama and meditation along with yin.
- Chair Yoga: Chair basics, how to adapt any pose to chair, props, class plans for different audience needs.
- Restorative: Restorative poses, using props, including meditation, and how to teach.
- Yoga Nidra: Learn what it is, its benefits, and how to conduct yoga nidra.
- Chakras: Deeper dive into energetic anatomy through the seven major energy centers along your spine.
- Workshop Planning: How to organize, plan, and market a workshop.
- Trauma-Informed Yoga: Gain a better understanding of how trauma affects individuals and how it might manifest during yoga classes.
- Thai Yoga: A passive, hands-on form of assisted yoga. Learn lower body, upper body, neck, shoulder, and hip sequences.
300-HR WEEKEND SCHEDULE:
September 19-20 | Yoga Nidra *Online
October 17-18 | Chair Yoga *Online
November 14-15 | Restorative Yoga *Online
December 5-6 | TBD
300-HR Meeting Times:
12:00-1:30 Lunch Break